Re: union mount status

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 16:22:18 EST

Jan Blunck wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

Hi all,

What is the status of this patchset ?
Bharata Rao told me, no consensus was reached yet.
After looking at Jan Blunk's ftp server, it looks like the latest patchset was for 2.6.25-mm1. Is anyone working on this patchset right now ?

Not that I know of.

The state is as follows: we (David Woodhouse, Bharata Rao, Erez Zadok and me)
agreed on a more or less final version of the whiteout patches. I haven't
posted them yet since I know that Al Viro isn't convinced of the idea that
they are actaully necessary.

The union mount could *very* interesting for the containers (aka namespaces). If you create a container, you can share the same rootfs between the different containers and make a COW for each container writing on its own filesystem, no ? Using together the mount namespaces, the union mount and the ro bind mount, can be very powerful IMHO.