Re: GPL question: using large contiguous memory in proprietary driver.

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 22:22:03 EST

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

I have the following question. Suppose that some proprietary
driver (otherwise completely clean, based only on non-GPL
symbols)

The fact that it's not using GPL symbols does not actually mean
that the driver is not a derivative work of the kernel (and thus
subject to the GPL).

But thanks to the gracious tolerance of the kernel development community, such drivers are permitted to exist.

If you're thinking of something like the Nvidia driver, the binary portion of that driver is cross-platform and is not a derivative work of the kernel.

If you sit down and write a new driver for linux, is is arguable that it is in fact a derivative work of the kernel and is thus subject to the GPL.

This may of course vary based on location, but I strongly suggest that you consult suitable legal advice before proceeding.

Chris