Re: [REVERT Request] VT Breakage

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 18:17:49 EST

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> said:
VT220 was monochrome, too. You needed to go to the VT241 before you got color in the DEC terminal range (and even it didn't support color text via the SGR sequence (CSI m), according to the manual -- even the VT510 manual doesn't document colored text via SGR.)

The VT510 is also monochrome (I'm sitting here typing on one).

Indeed it is. The color version is the VT525.

I haven't found the technical manual for VT525, but the user manual mentions as one of options in the configuration menu:

"Erase text to the text background color (PC style)"
"Erase text to the screen background color (VT style)"

However, to a very large degree this is all moot. We have done it one way for 17 years, and that is the terminal emulation that is expected when $TERM is "linux". Realistically, if we want to introduce a new xterm-compatible mode it needs to be just that, a mode; and then we can set TERM to "xterm".

-hpa