Re: QUEUE_FLAG_NONROT and merges

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Tue Oct 14 2008 - 04:54:43 EST

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:54:08 +0200
Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14 2008, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > I noticed you've added a new flag to indicate that the drive has no
> > seek costs and I figured it would be a good idea to use that on the
> > MMC/SD cards.
>
> That was me, actually...

Sorry, this was meant for you of course. I don't know how I got things
mixed up there. I guess I'll have to blame lack of coffee this
morning. :)

> > Since the name isn't entirely clear in what is implied, I just wanted
> > to check that there are no plans to assume that there is negligable
> > request overhead for queues with this flag. I.e. the flag should
> > indicate that the elevator doesn't have to care about seeks, but it
> > should still try to merge requests to reduce the transaction overhead.
>
> Sounds about right. The flag is just meant to indicate zero-seek cost,
> as devices will still have per-command overheads, merging is still
> applicable.
>
> So yes, you want to set that flag for mmc/sd cards, definitely.

Great. I'll get a patch out ASAP.

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman

Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org
rdesktop, core developer http://www.rdesktop.org

WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
encryption.