Re: AGP PAT issue.

From: Thomas Hellström
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 15:26:39 EST

Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Hellstrom [mailto:thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:53 AM
To: Rene Herman
Cc: Pallipadi, Venkatesh; Ingo Molnar; Dave Airlie; Li,
Shaohua; Yinghai Lu; Andreas Herrmann; Arjan van de Ven; Linux
Kernel; Siddha, Suresh B; Thomas Gleixner; H. Peter Anvin;
Dave Jones; Alan Hourihane
Subject: Re: AGP PAT issue.

Rene Herman wrote:
On 13-09-08 02:26, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:

Haven't been subcribed to any lists recently and someone was
talking about "the other thread" before but just noticed that
an-rc6 was cut.

Please note that the shutdown issue remains unfixed in it (I'm
doing my coalescing changes locally).

here's what is pending in tip/x86/pat for v2.6.28:

Only talking about .27 and just making sure again the
issue is known.
The above mentioned subject for the entry cache one ("fix Xorg
startup/shutdown slowdown with PAT") after all mistakingly says it
does something for shutdown.

Can you try the patch here
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0809.1/2074.html

That should resolve both reserve and free issues..
Not for .27 though.

Rene.
Hi!
What's the status on this?

This patch is now in upstream git and well on its way to .28

There are graphics devices we're working with that require large
(non-AGP) write-combined memory buffers at any time.
We can solve the tlb- and cache flush latencies by using pools of these
pages to allocate from and free to, but sooner or later we'll probably
end up with _huge_ memtype lists. In the (very unlikely) worst case I
guess they'd contain every other lowmem page in they system.

If I understand things correctly the patch above will fix this issue?
Will it be considered for future kernel inclusion.

Yes this patch will help the above case.

Thanks,
Venki
Thanks, Venki.
Much appreciated.