[x86_64] Implementation differences compared to x86_32

From: Eric Lacombe
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 08:26:36 EST

Hi,

Thanks again for all your answers.
I have some new questions with regard to x86_64 specificities.

- In x86_32, the physical memory is mapped on kernel land by way of 4 MB
pages.
But for x86_64, I read that the physical memory was mapped by way of 4 KB
pages. Is it true ? and in this case, why this choice ?

- Is the LDT used in x86_64 ?
I saw that the GDT_ENTRY_LDT is defined to 10 but when I read in the GDT at
0x50 for the segment descriptor, there is nothing, the area is filled with
zeros.

- Where can I find some documentation about the specifities of x86_64 compared
to x86_32, particularly about memory management ?
Perhaps you can (or someone on the list) depict those specificities ?

Thanks in advance

Eric