Re: Building a tracing userspace tool in the kernel tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 15:46:56 EST

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:16:26 -0400
Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> At the kernel summit, people seemed to be interested to have the basic
> userspace tools required to extract and pretty-print a trace available
> within the kernel tree. Therefore, what I am trying to do is something
> along the lines of
>
> ltt/usr/
> ltt/usr/tracectl/ (control tracing)
> ltt/usr/tracesplice/ (splice buffers to disk)
> ltt/usr/tracecat/ (merge sort and format the binary buffers into
> human-readable text)
>
> That would however require to create a Makefile which behaves a little
> bit like what scripts/ is currently doing with hostprogs-y, only that
> it's different in the sense that those tools are not required to build
> the kernel and this could therefore become a more standard part of the
> build process than what scripts/ is.
>
> Is there some magic statements to put in Makefile and ltt/Makefile to
> get this to build nicely with the rest of the tree ?

Sam's git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sam/test.git#master
tree contains a tests/ directory in which various userspace things are
compiled. I'd suggest you build on top of that.

Sam, this tells us that what you have there is insufficiently general.
Mathieu's tracing thing isn't a "test", but it's userspace. We should
have

./userspace/tests/
./userspace/ltt/

no?