Re: AGP PAT issue.

From: Thomas Hellstrom
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 11:53:36 EST

Rene Herman wrote:
On 13-09-08 02:26, Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:

Haven't been subcribed to any lists recently and someone was talking about "the other thread" before but just noticed that an-rc6 was cut.

Please note that the shutdown issue remains unfixed in it (I'm doing my coalescing changes locally).

here's what is pending in tip/x86/pat for v2.6.28:

Only talking about .27 and just making sure again the issue is known.

The above mentioned subject for the entry cache one ("fix Xorg startup/shutdown slowdown with PAT") after all mistakingly says it does something for shutdown.

Can you try the patch here http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0809.1/2074.html

That should resolve both reserve and free issues..

Not for .27 though.

Rene.

Hi!
What's the status on this?

There are graphics devices we're working with that require large (non-AGP) write-combined memory buffers at any time.
We can solve the tlb- and cache flush latencies by using pools of these pages to allocate from and free to, but sooner or later we'll probably end up with _huge_ memtype lists. In the (very unlikely) worst case I guess they'd contain every other lowmem page in they system.

If I understand things correctly the patch above will fix this issue?
Will it be considered for future kernel inclusion.

Any enlightenment on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
/Thomas