Re: free tg3 ethernet driver

From: Chris Snook
Date: Wed Oct 08 2008 - 21:14:19 EST

Davi Leal wrote:
We would like to have a tg3 driver which would be accepted as free by the FSF's standards.

I would like a pony.

At least some part of the driver seems to be GPL'ed; see [1]. However, the FSF's hardware guide lists tg3 as non-free, so there seems to be a non-free firmware somewhere.

[1]
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/driver-sla.php?driver=570x-Linux

Firmware blobs aren't news. They've been discussed at great length on this list. If you want to whine about this, whine to Broadcom.

We would like to be able to use the free driver with Linux 2.6.27 or later.

You must be new here.

Donation pledge group at
http://gnuherds.org/pledges?id=58
Current donations: $101 USD

Gigabit NICs with firmware-free drivers cost $10. If you care that much about the binary blob in tg3, maybe you should stop giving your money to Broadcom, and start giving it to vendors whose drivers satisfy your requirements.

-- Chris