Re: RFC: banning device driver reserved resources from /dev/mem

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Oct 06 2008 - 10:06:02 EST

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:01:22 +0100
Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Only a tiny fraction of devices in the world are PCI, and those
> > > platforms where you most what /dev/mem type debugging tools are
> > > often those without PCI
> >
> > if you looked at the patch it's x86 only, and only active if you set
> > CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM.
> > (if you don't select CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM, which is off by default,
> > you get unlimited access as usualy)
>
> Lots of non PCI devices on x86 systems as well.
>
> And the video problem is a big one for the x86 case as the VGA ISA
> window is used by both the kernel and X without a helper driver.

no argument, except that the kernel doesn't do request_region() on it
to expect exclusivity (so the patch doesn't do anything on this region)

Now having said that, if the DRM layer does request_region on the MMIO
bars, we might need a flag that explicitly says "this is intended for
sharing with userspace" for this known case; not too hard, I'll check
with Dave Airlie.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org