Re: Use CPUID to communicate with the hypervisor.

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 07:52:47 EST

Zachary Amsden wrote:
Well, that should be clearly defined, that is my point. When asking the
hypervisor for the tsc instead of running a calibration loop, then we
have a small bit of paravirtualization: The guest is aware that it runs
on a hypervisor and just asks it directly. So while we are at it we can
also define a way to communicate tsc freq changes between host and
guest, so the cost of trap'n'emulate tsc reads can be avoided. Or we
define "tsc is constant" and leave it to the hypervisor to make sure it

For our purposes, we define TSC is constant.

I believe VMware doesn't actually change cpu frequency dynamically. But what about hypervisors that do? and what about large machines, which do not actually have a constant tsc?

You are defining something as constant which in fact is not constant.