Re: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x1 / SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 11:10:14 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Gwendal Grignou wrote:
About ata1:0 problem, as reported in the bugzilla bug: I would try to
disable NCQ to see if it helps. Your disks firmware might not fully
support it.

You can either add the parameter "libata.force=noncq" when loading
your kernel, or set queue_depth to 1 for all the Seagate drives behind
the Marvell MV88SX6081 controller.

About ata5:0 , someone - in user space probably - is trying to do a
SMART ENABLE operation, but the device ignores it. I don't know which
device you are using, but I assume it does not support ATA SMART
feature set. Timeout is an acceptable but not a nice way to answer, a
cancel would have been better; check if there is a firmware upgrade
for your device.
You certainly called the SMART issue, I was wondering why a new
distribution install on some older hardware was getting all the errors,
clearly the Fedora "smartd" doesn't check SMART capability before trying
to enable the feature. Oddly the drive on which I see this does reply to
SMART requests, so the firmware must be "semi-functional." Not a
problem, in my case the drive is just used for testing handling of hot
swap, and has no data of any value.

Can you post full kernel log including the boot messages and the error
messages? Also, please attach the output of hdparm -I on the drive
which fails the smart command.

Belatedly, the drive was retired after I got thinking about it, I'm just calling it an old bad drive and leaving it at that. I'm not goinf to re-install a dubious 20GB drive, it's out of the hot-swap carrier, cleared with dban, and in the recycle bin. You seem to have far better examples of the issue, so I don't feel I would hold up progress. :-)
(cc'ing Bruce, hi!) Bruce, this is the second report I see about drive
timing out SMART ENABLE OPERATIONS. Does anything ring a bell?

Thanks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still