Re: PTE access rules & abstraction

From: peter
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 08:32:22 EST

>>>>> "Nick" == Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> writes:

Nick> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:49:32PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Nick> wrote:

>> > What is the complete set of primitives we need? I also noticed
>> that a > number of the existing pagetable operations are used only
>> once or twice > in the core code; I wonder if we really need such
>> special cases, or > whether we can make each arch pte operation
>> carry a bit more weight?
>>
>> Yes, that was some of my concern. It's getting close to having one
>> API per call site :-)

Nick> I don't think that is a huge problem as such... if there was
Nick> lots of repeated uses of the API I'd also be concerned about mm/
Nick> code not being well factored :)

Is it worth taking another look at the page-table abstraction layer
that Darren Williams posted here last year?

PeterC