Re: How how latent should non-preemptive scheduling be?

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 02:33:56 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
well, since they went away after you enabled CONFIG_PREEMPT=y, they are definitely in-kernel latencies, not any external SMM latencies.

I.e. they are inherently fixable. Could you enable:

CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE=y
CONFIG_FTRACE_MCOUNT_RECORD=y

that should make the traces a lot more verbose - every kernel function executed in the latency path will be logged. That way we'll be able to say which one takes that long.

I do not appear to have the CONFIG_FTRACE_MCOUNT_RECORD option in 2.6.27rc7. Is it an option that is only in -tip ?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/