Re: [NFS] blocks of zeros (NULLs) in NFS files in kernels >= 2.6.20

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 12:35:39 EST

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 18:05 +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> For what is worth, this behavior is visible in bog standard writing/reading
> files, (log files in my case, via the python logging package). It obviously
> deviates from local filesystem behavior, and former state of the linux
> nfs-client. Should we add patches to less, tail, and all other instruments
> for watching/analysing log files (just to pick the tip of the ice rock) in
> order to throw away runs of zeros, when reading from nfs mounted files? Or
> should we ask their maintainers to add locking code for the nfs "read
> files, which are written at the same time" case, just to work around
> __some__ of the consequences of this bug? Imagine, how ugly this is going
> to look!
>
> The whole issue is what I call a major regression, thus I strongly ask for a
> reply from Trond on this matter.
>
> I even vote for sending a revert request for this hunk to the stable team,
> where it is applicable, after Trond sorted it out (for 2.6.27?).
>
> Thanks, Aaron and Chuck for the detailed analysis - it demystified a wired
> behavior, I observed here. When you're in a process to get real work done
> in a fixed timeline, such things could make you mad..

Revert _what_ exactly?

Please assume that I've been travelling for the past 5 weeks, and have
only a sketchy idea of what has been going on.
My understanding was that this is a consequence of unordered writes
causing the file to be extended while some other task is reading.
AFAICS, this sort of behaviour has _always_ been possible. I can't see
how reverting anything will fix it.

Trond