Re: Populating multiple ptes at fault time

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 16:30:46 EST

(potential victim cc'ed)

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
We could work around it by having a hypercall to read and clear
accessed bits. If we know the guest will only do that via the
hypercall, we can keep the accessed (and dirty) bits in the host, and
not update them in the guest at all. Given good batching, there's
potential for a large win there.

We added a hypercall to update just the AD bits, though it was primarily
to update D without losing the hardware-set A bit.

I don't think it would be practical to add a hypercall to read the A
bit. There's too much code which just assumes it can grab a pte and
test the bit state. There's no pv_op for reading a pte in general, and
even if there were you'd need to have a specialized pv-op for
specifically reading the A bit to avoid unnecessary hypercalls.

I didn't think so much code would be interested in the accessed bit. I can think of

- pte teardown (to mark the page accessed)
- scanning the active list
- fork (which copies ptes)

Setting/clearing the A bit could be done via the normal set_pte pv_op,
so that's not a big deal.

Do you need to set the A bit synchronously?

Yes, of course (if no guest cooperation).

What happens if you install
the guest and shadow pte with A clear, and then lazily transfer the A
bit state from the shadow to guest pte? Maybe at some significant event
like a tlb flush or:

(If the host throws away a shadow page, it could sync the bits back
into the guest pte for safekeeping)

I'll fail my own unit tests.

If we add an async mode for guests that can cope, maybe this is workable. I guess this is what you're suggesting.

signature is too narrow to contain.