Re: diet-kconfig: a script to trim unneeded kconfigs

From: Giacomo A. Catenazzi
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 11:44:15 EST

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Hi Takashi,

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:55:26 +0200
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The script is VERY hackish. I should have begun with perl or whatever
better script language, but I chose bash and co. So, don't expect
much code quality. I'm no script guy after all :)

Using just a shellscript and binutils seems to be better than using other
tools, since it allows the usage on minimal configured systems where the user
might not have perl or other scripting languages.

But very slow, complex and not enough powerful:
The tools should have extensive knowledge about Kconfig,
and the CONFIG_ dependencies; it should handle a lot of
structures (text/binary; line/record oriented; etc.), which
it is not easy in shell (awk, od, sed with extended regexp are
not core utilities).

So my suggestion is: do it in a high level language, to find and
stabilize the design, and then integrate it in kconfig later (using
C).

ciao
cate