Re: [git patches] net driver fixes

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 10:47:11 EST

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 09:54:08AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:15:28PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > More seriously, there's a difference between Linus' "another random
> > improvement" and an "is even suitable for -stable".
> >
> > I'm not reading Linus' (Cc'ed) statement the way that a patch that is
> > appropriate for 2.6.27.1 is not appropriate for -rc now.
>
> Well, remember that patches that get published for -stable do have to
> go through an extra review process. It's not true that any "obviously
> correct" bug fix gets automatically published in -stable. Sometimes
> bug fixes do get rejected for -stable because they are too risky, or
> require more time for testing in the -rc series before they are deemed
> suitable for -stable.
> If it's a really important bug, and it affects a huge number of users,
> or it's really bad security bug, the reality is that exceptions will
> be made to the rules. But exceptions need to remain exceptions for
> extraordinary situations, not everyday occurrences. And of course, if
> the bug does affect a huge number of users, someone should be asking
> the question why it wasn't detected sooner, say before the last merge
> window --- and to ask the question how many users is this bug really
> going to affect anyway?

Among the patches David rejected based on what Linus said was
Thomas' patch [1].

It is not a "really important bug" and does not affect "huge number
of users".

But it passes Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt, and can we agree
that if it gets submitted for 2.6.27.1 it will likely pass review and
get applied?

That's the kind of patches I'm talking about.

> At least, that's my take on things,
>
> - Ted

cu
Adrian