Re: Turning off camera also kills card reader on EeePC 900

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 17:41:20 EST

Alan Jenkins wrote:
Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:

Alan Jenkins wrote:

The "HC died" message is interesting. Sounds like the controller for
these two USB devices stops working. Maybe try unloading and reloading
the ehci module? I don't think I can help any more though.

I compiled the kernel without module support so unless there's some sysfs trick that can be done...

Well, since you ask :-P. Here's an equivalent incantation. I hope it's not too brittle. Don't forget to unmount the SD card first.

cd /sys/module/ehci_hcd/drivers/pci:ehci_hcd
echo -n 0000:00:1d.7 | sudo tee unbind; echo -n 0000:00:1d.7 | sudo tee bind

The magic number is the PCI ID for the USB Host Controller, taken from your error message.

If the manual "bind" works you should then see a symlink, "0000:00:1d.7" in that directory.

Unfortunately when the SD card disappears so do the typical shell commands (as that's the device I'm booting off). I was left having to use source to look at the contents of things in /sys when the SD card died.

- It might be necessary to compare with the pre-installed OS
- Is the pre-installed kernel any better (files might be under
/proc/acpi/asus instead)? I guess you might not have the time or
resources to test that though.

The Xandros 2.6.21.4-eeepc install has the following files in /proc/acpi/asus/
brn camera cardr cpufv disp hdps init type wlan

I have no idea what cpufv, disp, hdps, init or type are. Doing echo 1 > camera && echo 0 > camera under this setup does NOT disappear the SD card.
Rats. So there is some secret the mainline driver is missing :-(.

Looks it.

Additionally brn seems to really represent the current LCD brightness (whereas it does not on a stock kernel and seems to always be set to -19)
It might have bitrotted on stock kernels? The newer interface is under /sys/class/backlight.

Ah I see - the stuff in there is correct. Does that mean that brn should quietly disappear now this alternative interface is present?

and the hotkeys (e.g. for brightness) seem to respond far more quickly than the stock kernel too.
Heh heh. I know all too much about that. It's a problem with the ACPI Embedded Controller driver, a hardware bug which triggered a regression in 2.6.25.

I'm currently running... it claims to be 2.6.27-rc4 but it might be 2.6.27-rc5 or something in between... which includes a fix. I'm not confident that they haven't broken it again since then. The problem is there are just so many different types of buggy EC's. "Fixes" for some buggy hardware break other buggy hardware. Very nasty.

Sigh. I think I've seen those posts ( http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.acpi.devel/32779/focus=33442 ? ) and hadn't fully comprehended what you were fighting against. Doesn't this just lead to DMI based quirks?

- The source code is... a 2Gb+ rar file someone would have to download
and pick apart.

Does anyone know if the archives on
http://support.asus.com/download/download_item_4.aspx?product=20&model=Eee%20PC%20900/Linux&SLanguage=en-us&os=5 (release dates appear to be 5th September 2008) are actually any different?

Why do you say that? Are the filesizes suspiciously identical?

I wish I could say - for some reason every option to download the source code in the dropdown on http://eeepc.asus.com/global/download.htm goes to a 404 page. I can't say I'm looking forward to downloading 2.6Gbytes on this network connection regardless.

--
Sitsofe