Re: Allow 8250 to work on sparc.

From: Mark Fortescue
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 14:51:37 EST

Hi Alan,

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Alan Cox wrote:

At the user level, there is no difference between a sun zilog serial port,
an 8250 serial port or a USB serial port so these should be allocated
using the same allocation system.

That isn't strictly true.

I am intrigued. Other than the valid baud rates what differences are visible at the user level?

For me, it would also simplify the issue of trying to work what devive to
look for when I plug in a new USB serial port device. It would be the new
/dev/ttyS<x> to appear in /dev.

Naming is a private matter for udev anyway, independant of numbering for
major/minor

Yes, but I have not found a simple way to configure it to add serial port devices to the next available /dev/ttyS<xx>. If this was the default, it would be much easier for me :). (I am assuming that all the different serial port devices I use are transparent at the user level, hence my question above.)

Regards
Mark.