Re: Stable regression: usb-storage is stuck in 2.6.26.5

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Sat Sep 13 2008 - 08:46:49 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:
Just updated my machine from 2.6.26.1 to 2.6.26.5, and it does not
wan to boot anymore. It says "Initializing USB Mass Storage driver.."
(when trying to load usb-storage module) and sits here forever, every
2 minutes showing warnings about stuck processes (traces below).
With 2.6.26.1 or any previous version I never experienced this
problem. Both 32- and 64-bits kernels behave the same way.
While waiting for usb-storage to complete, no other USB devices
works (incl. mouse and keyboard).

The machine is an AMD X2-64 (BE-2400) processor with an nVidia MCP51
chipset (lspci is below). Motherboard is Asus M2NPV-VM, latest BIOS
(1401, dated 08/07/2008)

I'm rebuilding 2.6.26.3 for now -- trying to bisect the issue...
[...]

And it's more: even without usb-storage, other USB devices does
not work, waiting in the same usb_start_wait_urb.

Ok, it turned out to be pretty.. interesting.

It's not a regression within -stable kernel series. The problem
happens when BOTH are true:

- using latest BIOS for this mobo (1401), AND
- enabling KVM_GUEST in kernel.

The only difference in my kernel config between .1 and .5 was
to enable KVM_GUEST and KVM_CLOCK, and also I2C_HELPER_AUTO
which was added by kernel update.

Going with previous BIOS (1201) OR disabling PARAVIRT_GUEST
fixes the problem. I'll try to figure out which config
option is at problem here.

Thanks.

/mjt