Re: AGP PAT issue.

From: Rene Herman
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 04:28:21 EST

On 11-09-08 10:17, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 22-08-08 22:02, Rene Herman wrote:

On 22-08-08 06:15, Ingo Molnar wrote:
The frontside cache itself is in x86/urgent:

# 80c5e73: x86: fix Xorg startup/shutdown slowdown with PAT

... and should at least solve the symptom that you've hit in practice (the slowdown), without changing the underlying PAT machinery. (which would be way too dangerous for v2.6.27)
Well, please note that that specific commit only fixes X startup -- it doesn't do anything for shutdown. With only that one, I'm still at 14 seconds for X shutdown (first time after boot that is, 5 seconds subsequent shutdowns) versus 1 (or sub 1, feels immediate) normally.

It's also a black-screen "hang", so we'll probably be getting a lot of "long hang at shutdown" reports without something additionally for .27.

Venki?
Haven't been subcribed to any lists recently and someone was talking about "the other thread" before but just noticed that an -rc6 was cut.

Please note that the shutdown issue remains unfixed in it (I'm doing my coalescing changes locally).

here's what is pending in tip/x86/pat for v2.6.28:

Only talking about .27 and just making sure again the issue is known.

The above mentioned subject for the entry cache one ("fix Xorg startup/shutdown slowdown with PAT") after all mistakingly says it does something for shutdown.

Rene.