Re: [BUG] x86 kenel won't boot under Virtual PC

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 18:42:31 EST

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> OK, digging some more into this garbage...
>
> Apparently the situation isn't quite as dire as it first seems.
> At least gcc 4.3.0 doesn't actually pass -mtune= to gas; it just drops the
> option on the floor. This means this bug isn't manifest when calling from gcc
> (as opposed to invoking as directly.)

Ok, goodie. And we don't pass the -mtune=xyz option when we use gas
directly, so we should be all ok.

> However, I would still like to push the following patch to be on the safe
> side, ok?

I have no problem with it, with the fix to actually assemble things. But I
also don't think it's a huge deal (ie not 2.6.27 stuff - we don't know
if some odd version of as does something odd with -mtune=generic, or
whether this can interact oddly with some version of gcc perhaps passing
the _correct_ -mtune to the assembler?).

Linus