Re: [git pull] x86 fixes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 16:18:43 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

I'd lump all cpus that don't have cpuid in this bucket too (eg half the
486es) simply because not having cpuid is painful in pretty much the
same way.

Not really. Detecting CPUID is pretty trivial, and we just initialize the feature vector to zero if it isn't there.

- "modern 32-bit": PPro and better. Can take CMOV, MMX and TSC for granted.

again makes sense; question is if it makes sense to take PSE and PAE
for granted as well (although PSE we can do runtime I suppose)

Well, PAE implies PSE. Unfortunately Intel released a series of Pentium-Ms without PAE support. We *should* be able to take PSE for granted, but there is Xen damage.

-hpa