Re: [git pull] x86 fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 14:18:26 EST

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> - X86_GENERIC means _other_ things too, like doing a 128-bit cacheline
> just so that it won't suck horribly on P4's even if it's otherwise
> tuned for a good microarchitecture.

Hmm. The only other thing seems to be X86_INTEL_USERCOPY. Which doesn't
seem to be something we want to force either.

And I have to say, that whole X86_GENERIC -> L1_CACHE_BYTES=128 ->
cache_line_size() -> SLAB/SLUB/SLOB alignment worries me too. Looking at
that, I really don't feel like I want to force 128-byte alignment on
everybody, just because the P4 was a pig in cacheline size.

So NOPL really stands out as being different from the other things that
X86_GENERIC does.

Linus