update on hrtimer based select/poll and range-hrtimers

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Sep 07 2008 - 14:11:50 EST

Hi,

since the last lkml posting I've merged a few fixes and added comments
from Peter, and I've redone the "estimate_accuracy" function.

Rather than reposting the entire series, I'll point to the git tree at

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arjan/linux-2.6-hrtimer.git

and I've pasted the new function below.
Rather than having the hardcoded steps from the "Linus" function, I've
turned it into:
0 for realtime tasks
"0.1% of the time" for not-nice, not realtime tasks
"0.5% of the time" for nice, not realtime tasks
with a cap of 100msec for both.

I would like to request feedback on this approach; I think this is
better than the "hardcoded steps" as before, but maybe someone can come
up with an ever better idea....

static unsigned long __estimate_accuracy(struct timespec *tv)
{
unsigned long slack;
int divfactor = 1000;

if (task_nice(current))
divfactor = divfactor / 5;

slack = tv->tv_nsec / divfactor;
slack += tv->tv_sec * (NSEC_PER_SEC/divfactor);

if (slack > 100 * NSEC_PER_MSEC)
slack = 100 * NSEC_PER_MSEC;
return slack;
}

static unsigned long estimate_accuracy(struct timespec *tv)
{
unsigned long ret;
struct timespec now;

/*
* Realtime tasks get a slack of 0 for obvious reasons.
*/

if (current->policy == SCHED_FIFO ||
current->policy == SCHED_RR)
return 0;