Re: checkpoint/restart ABI

From: Oren Laadan
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 17:55:32 EST

Quoting Dave Hansen <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Arnd, Jeremy and Oren,

Thanks for all of the very interesting comments about the ABI.

I second that !

Considering that we're still *really* early in getting this concept
merged up into mainline, what do you all think we should do now?

My main goal here is just to get everyone to understand the approach
that we're proposing rather than to really fix the interfaces in stone.
I bet we're going to be changing them a lot before these patches
actually get in.

I closely follow the valuable feedback and fix the code accordingly.

I propose to extend the proof of concept, to also be able to save and
restore "simple" open files (regular files, directories). My motivation
is twofold:

(1) Providing eough functionality for people to meaningfully play
with the proposed patches and try them.

(2) Demonstrate how I propose to handle shared resources (open files).

The first point is very important because it makes the concept actually
useful to a much broader set of programs than otherwise. I hope this
will attract a larger audience :)

To this end, I have already extended the patchset, and I should be
able to send something working in a day or two.

Oren.