Re: Kernel oops with 2.6.26, padlock and ipsec: probably problemwith fpu state changes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 12:16:57 EST

Wolfgang Walter wrote:
How could any kernel code use MMX/SSE/FPU when the interrupt case isn't handled?

I don't think we have ever allowed MMX/SSE/FPU code in interrupt handlers. kernel_fpu_begin()..end() lock out preemption, and so could only be interrupted, not preempted.

Or is your argument that its lazy allocation itself is the problem: this nesting could always happen and was a bug but only with lazy allocation it is dangerous (as it may cause a spurious math fault in the race window).

If this were right than any kernel code executing SSE may trigger now a oops in __switch_to() under some special circumstances.

If lazy allocation can cause the RAID code, for example (which executes SSE instructions in the kernel, but not at interrupt time) to start randomly oopsing, then lazy allocations have to be pulled.

-hpa