Re: Kernel oops with 2.6.26, padlock and ipsec: probably problemwith fpu state changes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 22:04:31 EST

Herbert Xu wrote:
On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 12:01:15PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
It's technically overkill, if (and only if!) these instructions don't actually touch the SSE state (most likely they're using the SSE pipeline, and need this stuff to deal with power management issues.)

Yes the PadLock uses the SSE pipeline, but doesn't touch any
of the state.

And yet it requires all the settings that goes along with holding the SSE state. Really crap design, unfortunately.

However, overkill is a good way to make sure something is dead. Applying the patch will make sure we fix the regression, and we can worry about optimizing this further post-2.6.27.

Do we really need the FPU changes right now? I'd prefer for that
to be backed out until a proper solution is found. Disabling
preemption around crypto is really bad for scheduling latency.

I hate to say it, but given the relative marketshare, we should disable Padlock instead.

This is part of the pain of being a minority architecture.

-hpa