Re: request for comment: generic kernel interface for malware vendors

From: Ray Lee
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 12:09:52 EST

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Eric Paris <eparis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1 - ****hooks, basics, infrastructure
> 2 - configuration generic stuff for the other patches
> 3 - ****results caching
> 4 - exclusions based on the operation or filetype
> 5 - per process exclusions
> 6 - filesystem type exclusions
> 7 - patch exclusions, don't scan when accessed through certain path
> 8 - patch inclusions, only scanning selected things
> 9 - ****userspace vetting, the big stuff
> 10 - operating when userspace is broken

If, along the way, you can also address the needs provided by the
fschange patches (system-wide inotify, in essence, without having to
register individual watches), that'd be gravy. I haven't looked at
either the patches above or the fsnotify ones, so I can't speak to
whatever overlap they may have, except that it certainly seems like
the anti-malware stuff would be a superset.

http://stefan.buettcher.org/cs/fschange/index.html

~r.