Re: Bug on 2.6.26 - x86 VIA Nehemiah CentaurHauls processor cannotboot

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 14:33:25 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

Thanks for taking a look at this. So well, it would be a
misconfiguration bug by the distribution then to try to support a
generic 686 kernel wihtout GENERIC then.

Well, it may be intentional -- some distros simply exclude support for the lower-volume VIA processors, since that might imply building their "generic 686 kernel" sans CMOV and some other instructions, and changing the compiler's instruction scheduling to something less optimal for the majority. :/

X86_GENERIC shouldn't disable CMOV?

I said "generic 686 kernel" not a specific Kconfig option (for reasons stated below), which is a bit different.

We're only referring specifically to the family == 6 VIA processors here.

To be specific, I was merely saying that VIA processors where c->x86_model==6 may lack CMOV.

I have not kept track of what current Kconfig options will set, but in the past it was quite easy to build a "generic 686 kernel" that required CMOV and thus excluded these VIA processors.

Distros in the past often wound up intentionally -not- supporting some of these VIA processors, because they did not want to create a non-CMOV kernel. (This policy obviously excluded older x86 as well)

If these things have been addressed recently (< 12-18 months) then all good.

Jeff