Re: [RFC] Imprecise timers.

From: Rene Herman
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 03:17:02 EST

On 22-07-08 05:02, David Woodhouse wrote:

Many users of timers don't really care too much about exactly when
their timer fires -- and waking a CPU to satisfy such a timer is a
waste of power. This patch implements a 'range' timer which will fire
at a 'convenient' moment within given constraints.

It's implemented by a deferrable timer at the beginning of the range,
which will run some time later when the CPU happens to be awake. And
a non-deferrable timer at the hard deadline, to ensure it really does
happen by then.

Are there actually users for this (not just in theory)? The deferrable timer sort of sounds like all I'd ever want if I, as you say, wouldn't really care...

Rene.