Re: [crash] kernel BUG at net/core/dev.c:1328!

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 14:46:52 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > [ 24.434799] kernel BUG at net/core/dev.c:1328!
>
> Ok, it is now a WARN_ON_ONCE() in my tree (which I _just_ pushed out).
>
> So it's going to cause irritating messages (once), but the machine should
> hopefully work.
>
> > Should i spend time on bisecting this, or is this known already?
>
> It's going to bisect down to the same commit you already bisected
> once, it's the networking code that changed some of the rules, so
> various network drivers that didn't follow the expected rules are now
> unhappy.
>
> Maybe the network drivers are few enough that it will get fixed, or
> maybe the WARN_ON_ONCE() will just be removed and the rule not
> reinforced.

ok, have updated the testboxes to your latest push.

Btw., otherwise the big networking pull held up pretty well on a healthy
range of testboxes i have, it looked a lot scarier to me in the morning
than it turned out to be during the day. A couple of hundred tests
passed already and no indication of any runtime fragility so far. Boot
crashes/warnings can be annoying and hard to get a proper log of but
once the log is available they are normally quite easy for developers to
act upon.

Ingo