Re: Please add ZFS support (from GPL sources)

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 06:57:43 EST

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:45:07PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Fred . wrote:
>> Previously we have not been able to have ZFS support due to it being
>> licensed under the CDDL and the kernel under the GPL.
>>
>> Sun have contributed ZFS support to GRUB under the GPL license. We
>> could now use that code to implement support for ZFS in the Linux
>> kernel.
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists
>
> Linux needs btrfs upstream more than it needs ZFS...

Don't be so harsh. Adding a read-only for the start zfs driver for
Linux would be useful for various purposes. And adding read-only
filesystems to Linux is really easy. So if Fred really cares about it
I'd be very happy to mentor him implementing it. IT should be a very
good learning exercise for him.