Re: The request_firmware() changes causing problems with make-kpkg

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 11:21:25 EST

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 07:14:35AM -0700, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Given that Ubuntu's firmware loader already tries to find firmware at
> > /lib/firmware/<kpkg> and only if that fails, to load it from
> > /lib/firmware, it seems like the obvious thing to do is to add a
> > quickie CONFIG option which changes the default setting of
> > INSTALL_FW_PATH in the top-level makefile from /lib/firwmare to
> > /lib/firmware/<kver>.
>
> I assume those are actually the same -- <kpkg> vs. <kver>?

Yes, sorry. I was typing too fast.

> Hm. The way we normally override such paths is with make variables.
>
> If you really can't just fix make-kpkg to set INSTALL_FW_PATH when
> installing modules, you could export MAKEFLAGS=INSTALL_FW_PATH=/foo
> before invoking make-kpkg.
>
> Your logic is that it's easier for you to update your config than to
> override $(INSTALL_FW_PATH) by either method above?

Well, make-kpkg is a little easier to follow and modify than say, Red
Hat's kernel-building rpm macros (a task which I wouldn't wish on my
worst enemy, having done it once in the RHEL4 era), but that's not
saying much. But *yes*, much easier to modify my config. :-)

- Ted