Re: [boot crash, bisected] in 9f240a55 "ALSA: opti93x: use cs4231lib"

From: Rene Herman
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 08:34:21 EST

On 18-07-08 14:28, Krzysztof Helt wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:19:19 +0200
Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 17-07-08 21:38, Rene Herman wrote:

On 17-07-08 21:20, Rene Herman wrote:

On 17-07-08 20:40, Takashi Iwai wrote:

Could you try the patch below?
This bug was uncovered by !CONFIG_PNP and we had trouble in this driver due to that before so was rewriting the init to be a generic multi-card ALSA init but, actually, not much point.

The bug was introduced by the patch as it used (tried to free) the codec pointer
before it was assigned any value. It happened only if the card was missing and
I didn't test the driver on such a configuration. My mistake. The CONFIG_PNP
setting makes no difference.

Yes it does. Note how the ISA match method fails due to "if (isapnp)" with CONFIG_PNP and isapnp being initialized to 1. I did test without the hardware but didn't see it fail due to that.

In fact, in the meantime I'll look at splitting 92x and 93x again. It's much better now that Krzysztof made it use the generic library code but I still hate this driver. It's also poking at ports without being told something is there by either system or user.

Please hold your axe until Monday. The last patch (not posted yet) from the unification of the WSS library series removes some ifdefs in this driver.
This may (or may not) change your view on splitting the driver.

Will do.

Rene.