Re: SLUB: simplify re on_each_cpu()

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 08:26:59 EST

Hi Robin,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Robin Holt <holt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> It looks to me like on_each_cpu is a #define for !SMP. Are you certain
> of the need for this change? Are you looking at a different tree than
> Linus'?

I think it's actually you who is looking at an older tree.

However, while double-checking this, I noticed that for UP,
on_each_cpu() enables interrupts unconditionally with
local_irq_enable() whereas the call while the old code in SLUB did a
local_irq_restore() that preserves the irq mask. Looking at the
callers of flush_all() in mm/slub.c, the change looks okay, but it's
still bit strange on_each_cpu() works that way on UP.

Pekka