Re: Please pull ACPI updates

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 22:57:26 EST

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> I'll dig around some more for git best practices too. Based on what I've seen
> of the x86 tree I don't have nearly enough branches

Don't worry about it. Start small. I think the x86 tree took up some
pretty extreme limits, as can be seen by their 29-way merge or whatever it
was. They also obviously have a lot more stuff going on than the PCI tree
would be expected to have.

For most people, I'd expect that a small handful of branches is good. It
might be just one, but it might be a couple of independent issues.

The point where a topic branch is _really_ useful is when you ask yourself
whether that particular change is something that you (or somebody else!)
might want to delay or test separately from some other change - that's
when "oh, let's just use a separate branch for it" is really appropriate.

Len, for example, often did topic branches for individual bugzilla
entries, and obviously for big conceptually separate things like ACPICA,
which really _is_ a totally disjoint development track.

Other people, like rmk, use topic branches for particular hardware
platforms.

On the other hand, if it's a trivial and obvious thing, there's no point
in putting it into a separate branch. A number people who keep topic
branches for all their major development then end up having a "misc"
branch for just random things.

And remember: in git, topic branches are temporary things. You can rename
them, you can delete them, you can ignore them. And before you've pushed
things out, you can even decide to create a topic branch of a set of
commits _after_ the fact. So you can commit _first_, and then decide that
that commit was probably best to keep separate, so you create a topic
branch with that commit on it, an go back to the pre-commit state on your
regular branch.

BUT!

- Not everybody _has_ to use topic branches. If you are maintaining
something that is very specific to begin with, _all_ your maintenance
is basically one topic to start with, so you'd never have separate
topic branches.

The filesystem people, for example, do not tend to use topic branches
for this reason. They do their filesystem. They seldom have issues that
crop up on just certain platforms etc.

- And more importantly - play around with it. Get used to it first. Look
at what other people do. Start small, with perhaps just one special
topic branch to test the waters with.

So don't worry _too_ much.

Linus