Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 06:31:23 EST

From: pageexec@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:23:50 +0200

> On 16 Jul 2008 at 3:08, David Miller wrote:
>
> > IOW, when we fix security issues, it's simply not even appropriate or
> > relevant to you.
>
> i'll ask again: why aren't security fixes that you fix relevant to users
> of older kernels (as that's what the topic was)?

Backporting any fix to older kernels is a chore, the further back you
go, the harder and less fun it is.

The tipping point is really quick to where someone hacking the kernel
for fun simply isn't going to do it, nor should they be expected to.

That's why people who want a stable supported kernel with fixes
constantly backported have grown accustomed to paying for that service.

And to me that is entirely reasonable.