Re: [RFC] (almost) booting allyesconfig -- please don't poke super-iowithout request_region

From: Rene Herman
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 04:08:01 EST

On 16-07-08 09:46, Jean Delvare wrote:

As a conclusion, there is no clear relationship between the presence
of an ISA or LPC bridge and the presence of a Super-I/O chip. All we
can say is that apparently all PC systems have an ISA bridge. So
indeed we can probably make the probes conditional upon the presence
of an "ISA bridge" PCI device. That's very easy to test. In practice
it might be equivalent to making the driver x86-only.

And foregoing non (pre-) PCI. Admittedly, that might not be much of an issue and I don't know if "Super-I/O" is maybe even defined such as to make it a NON issue but I do for example remember my old 386 chipset providing for extended serial rates which I thought was way cool back then. If that's Super-I/O (or something that should/could be covered by the infrastructure at least) then PCI wouldn't be helpful.

Rene.