Re: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel

From: Justin Mattock
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 01:31:15 EST

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:58 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Justin,
> At the moment I am not really certain what the problem is.
> I have heard that Macintel machines (because of EFI) can't boot
> without resorting to MMCONFIG. If that is true, the problem I
> am seeing would appear to start with the fact that the boot
> proceeds with "Not using MMCONFIG". I plan on trying to add
> some printk statements in arch/x86/pci/mmconfig-shared.c to
> puzzle out why this is failing. The code in question is...
>

> if (!early)
> printk(KERN_ERR "PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at %Lx is not"
> " reserved in ACPI motherboard resources\n",
> cfg->address);
> /* Don't try to do this check unless configuration
> type 1 is available. how about type 2 ?*/
> if (raw_pci_ops && e820_all_mapped(cfg->address,
> cfg->address + size - 1,
> E820_RESERVED)) {
> printk(KERN_NOTICE
> "PCI: MCFG area at %Lx reserved in E820\n",
> cfg->address);
> valid = 1;
> }
>
> if (!valid)
> goto reject;
> }
>
> return;
>
> reject:
> printk(KERN_ERR "PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.\n");
> pci_mmcfg_arch_free();
> kfree(pci_mmcfg_config);
> pci_mmcfg_config = NULL;
> pci_mmcfg_config_num = 0;
> }
>
> I've verified that test for raw_pci_ops is passing but it appears
> that the e820_all_mapped() test is failing (at least on
> my machine).
> Jack
>
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:05:23AM +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Justin,
>> > You also download the x86_64 iso instead from...
>> >
>> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/development/x86_64/os/images/
>> >
>> > Both should give you the same kernel boot freeze that I am
>> > seeing (assuming that the kernel boots up with the message
>> > "Not using MMCONFIG". At this point I am just trying to find
>> > out if anyone else can reproduce this issue on a MacBook Pro
>> > (second generation). Otherwise I am going to be out of luck
>> > when distros switch to 2.6.26.
>> > Jack
>> > ps I am currently guessing that thet actual freeze is
>> > occuring in the code that is executed right after...
>> >
>> > pci 0000:00:1f.0: quirk: region 0400-047f claimed by ICH6 ACPI/GPIO/TCO
>> > pci 0000:00:1f.0: quirk: region 0500-053f claimed by ICH6 GPIO
>> >
>> > but before...
>> >
>> > PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:00:1e.0
>> >
>> > ...which never appears here under 2.6.26.

>> I have not yet tried the .iso's yet.
>> (busy with other things at the moment),
>> from what you're telling me it seems they must have left out
>> something in the .config. "Shit" this means you can't even load the .iso itself
> [...]

Hello;
One of my weaknesses right now is pulling code out of my ass
(maybe in a few years from now), but from what you are showing me
This is what is causing the NULL(if that's right to say)

if (!valid)
goto reject;

So the question is, is how to have a valid
"something" to prevent going to NULL
maybe a boot param i.g. acpi_osi=Darwin,
or another option to make a "good" !valid
So you don't: goto reject;

Or take the whole reject mechanism out
just so you can boot up, and then asses the situation from there.
regards;

--
Justin P. Mattock