Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Rene Herman
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 00:54:54 EST

On 15-07-08 21:14, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Theodore Tso wrote:

If so, may I suggest you start implementing, instead of sending
e-mails? For all the time people have spent arguing about it, maybe it could have been implemented already.

Already started, in fact, since Linus said he would not reject it out
of hands.

Great, as I really hope this gets in. Was looking but am very scared of the linker goo...

I'm going to like the feature in itself once it has grown the ability for firmware in the module and really do not right now. One of the drivers I care about (old ISA SB16 CSP code) was also affected and my old 486 system with the hardware in it is _still_ lauging its little balls of at the people stating that "if you have userspace to load the module you have userspace to support at the hotplug/udev goo to load the firmware".

Given that one needs to be rather irrelevant to care about the SB16 CSP in the first place it wasn't enough to complain really, but yes, I'm really quite sure that I'm going to use the feature of building it into the module more than once while running around with floppies trying to support that old stuff.

Rene.