Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10

From: Tiago Assumpcao
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 21:56:01 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
Look if you want this, pay $$$ to a distribution and get their
supported distribution. It costs time and effort to classify bugs as
security related (or not), (...)

That's fallacious. Assuming that you have good programmers, and you do, it's of very low cost the act of identifying what *is likely to be* a security bug. In most cases, they are easy to spot. And, hey, we are not asking for an absurd amount of care. You must not pay $200 /hour for someone to review your software. All I, personally, ask for is that the basic attention is given. With this simple act, I'm sure you would cover the majority of the bugs.

It will cost you money, but hey, the people who want
this sort of thing typically are willing to pay for the service.

So, only those willing to pay have the right of respect? Because, you see, this is rather a matter of respect with those who choose to use your solution. And, no, the "free will" argument does not qualify herein. My mother is not aware of your absurd acts.

I'll note that trying to classify bugs as being "security-related" at
the kernel.org level often doesn't help the distro's, since many of
these bugs won't even apply to whatever version of the kernel the
distro's snapshotted 9-18 months ago. So if the distro snapshotted
> 2.6.18 in Fall 2006, and their next snapshot will be sometime two
years later in the fall of this year, they will have no use for some
potential local denial of service attack that was introduced by
accident in 2.6.24-rc3, and fixed in 2.6.25-rc1. It just doesn't
matter to them.

I don't follow what you have just said. What is the problem with "versioning" and the strictness of its relation to bugs, security or not?

So basically, if there are enough kernel.org users who care, they can
pay someone to classify and issue CVE numbers for each and every
potential "security bug" that might appear and then disappear.

I think, CVE registration or the alike would be too much for what I call "act of decency". A single parenthesis note on the bug itself would be of great help and of small effort.

--t