Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 20:28:38 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Hey, how about a config option that turns firwmare files into
> stand-alone kernel modules that register the blob into the
> request_firmware internal list, and MODULE_FIRMWARE into a module
> dependency?

I think that should work fine from a technical angle, and I don't disagree
per se, but it really is very ugly.

Wouldn't it be much simpler to just require people to have a reasonably
up-to-date mkinitrd. Apparently it's not available _everywhere_, but if we
check for this up-front (even if we can apparently only do so at "make
install" time due to the root requirements), wouldn't that really solve
the issue with much less work?

Linus