Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: david
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 17:27:48 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

you don't have to. We extend udev once and then it will always work.

Umm. The thing is, people running new kernels with old user land is not
just supposed to work, it's _really_ supposed to work.

It's what I do. Something that breaks that has to have damn good reasons
to break it.

So I do not disagree with Jeff on that point _at_all_. I'm in violent
agreement with Jeff on the fact that we should not require system updates
for the kernel to do the right thing.

The thing I disagree with Jeff on is that he then seems to turn that into
something very negative ("let's not separate the firmware at all").

he's not saying not to seperate the firmware at all, he's asking for the _option_ of compiling a kernel that doesn't have the firmware seperate from the modules.

a kernel compiled with this option would just drop-in to an older distro with zero impact. newer distros that have updated their userspace tools could compile with different options and have the firmware seperate.

David Lang