Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 17:26:26 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Kernel 2.6.26. Older userland w/ initrd requirement, plus module w/
> compiled-in firmware.
>
> Simply dropping 2.6.27 into that situation will produce an unbootable system,
> since the firmware would not get copied into the initrd.

Umm. Neither would the module.

So I assume you are doing the module load from the disk, not the initrd?

Or are you rebuilding the module into the initrd? If so, why didn't you do
the firmware too and my "load directly from file" idea which is pretty
simple? IOW, what's the fundamnetal problem here?

But hey, if you _do_ the "link it together", go ahead. I don't see why
it's so magically superior, but I wanted it for the compiled-in driver
case, so it's not fundamentally different from that either. And I can't
really find the energy to care any more.

Linus