Re: [2.6 patch] chsc headers userspace cleanup

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 17:02:50 EST

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 07:17:48PM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:58:18 +0300,
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Kernel headers shouldn't expose functions to userspace.
>
> Could you please elaborate? Especially as I see e.g.
> include/linux/virtio_ring.h exporting functions outside #ifdef
> __KERNEL__ as well...

Our headers are in a bad shape...

The userspace headers should contain everything that is part of the ABI
between the kernel and userspace.

Nothing more.

The kernel is heavily changing with each release while the userspace ABI
is cast in stone, and leaking more stuff to userspace than required only
increases the chances of some userspace programmer using it and some
kernel programmer then changing it.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.