Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 16:49:19 EST

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 04:26:41PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> To be extremely concrete, firmware-in-module is
>
> * add Kconfig option (kernel-wide or per-driver, dunno) asking
> "build firmware into drivers, as before?"
>
> * tweak build process to build firmware into foo.ko output,
> probably in a specially marked ELF section
>
> * get request_firmware() to automatically notice that the
> MODULE_FIRMWARE() was built into this driver, and to
> look at the special ELF section for its data

Jeff, just thinking, wouldn't it be slightly easier to move the firmware
in a separate module on its own and just add a dependency, so that foo.ko
automatically loads foo-fw.ko ? I know it will be slightly differente, but
would not change in-site deployment workflows nor installed scripts.

Regards,
Willy