Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 16:33:42 EST

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
I really don't see that problem here since request_firmware() has been
around for so long now and so many drivers are using it nowadays that I
don't see your point here on how it will break.

There is no fundamental breakage in the new request_firmware() system.

However, it is misleading to state

what I'm doing here is nothing new. Most modern
drivers use request_firmware() already.

because we are not talking about new drivers, we are talking about existing drivers changing en masse from "not requiring firmware" state to "requiring firmware" state.

We are also talking about a totally new source of critically important data (the firmware, coming from the kernel tree), and scripts must be updated to take that into account.

Sure, in many cases the fix may even be a one-liner... but you still need that fix, in order to continue to use drivers that were working in 2.6.26.

Jeff