Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 15:40:07 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Personally I am against hacking file loading from within the kernel.
> This is why we involved udev (or hotplug in the beginning). It allows
> you to have userspace policy for the search paths etc.

Well, I'm personally against _forcing_ people to use udev.

Yes, desktop distros generally will do so, since there are lots of complex
issues etc. But I don't think we've generally forced it on people if they
don't want it (ie I haven't tried it personally since the distro I used
started using udev, but I think you can still just ignore udev events and
set everything up statically).

And I don't think that's wrong. Which implies that setup things should
still generally at least allow us to avoid udev.

(But maybe I'm wrong, and everybody already uses udev just because they
couldn't be bothered not to).

Linus